Saturday 5 April 2014

Another attempt to see Gaztelugatxe and The Tree of Gernika and more

When I was finishing off the previous post I remembered that I'd been tired all that day and finally I've remembered why - it was because the night before I'd been to a 'sociadad'. I was so happy to be going because I hear this term a lot and couldn't quite understand what exactly it meant - and now I know, thanks to some people I've come to know here.
 People here don't invite people into their homes like we kiwis do and a 'sociadad' fills the gap between meeting at restaurants and bars and 'home'. Traditionally, they were places for men, what a surprise, who could gather there, cook their meal, eat together, drink grog  and whatever else men do in such places. Nowadays, women can be members but still, in some,  women aren't allowed into the kitchen - how wonderful is that???
Here's a photo inside the one that I went to, looking from the door to the kitchen
the man on the left is watching TV which is on the wall out of the photo. The guys on the right are a group of workmates and the 2 people at the end on the left are the 2 women I was with and the husband of one of them cooked our dinner.
These women meet up with me each week to pracitise their English, both have quite a high level, and their names are Larraitz and GarbiƱe. It was Larraitz's birthday on Saturday so they decided to give me a 'sociadad' experience and have a dinner for the four of us for her birthday. On the Saturday they were having a proper birthday dinner here with her parents-in-law.
In the kitchen, Larraitz's husband is in the middle
   
Me and Larraitz and a couple of guys who were cooking for the other group. The guy on the left kept looking at me as if I had dropped out of the sky and finally asked me where I'm from. It all seemed a bit beyond him.
  
For starters plus there was a plate of pate and crackers which is just over on the right of the photo

and then there was an omelette with gulas, the white things on the salad which are apparently baby eels. I didn't take a photo of the omelette. After the omelette came the steak

every course is eaten with lovely crispy bread and there was cider was the drink. Cheese and quince jelly finished off the meal. It was all DELICIOUS and I ate heaps
but my golly gosh, I was soooooo full and waddled home at about 12.30am. 
Larraitz's husband is a member of this sociadad and there are about 40 members. I don't know what the cost is but all things to drink are there and all the cooking equipment, pots, pans, utensils and crockery and cutlery, a coffee machine. People take their food only and the membership fees cover everything else. There is an elected committee which runs things and it all sounds like it works very well. Apparently most men and some women belong to one.
Anyway, this was the reason that I was feeling rather tired on the Friday, not because it was a particularly late night because, for me it wasn't, but I was so full of food it took me ages to get to sleep and then I didn't sleep very well at all.
Now for yesterdays trip, our 2nd attempt at getting to Gaztelugatxe and the Gernika Tree. 
Actually, I'm going to post this and then do it because sometimes, if there are a few photos publishing foes very slow and sometimes gets stuck which is just a pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment