Tuesday 25 March 2014

back up from underground


On the Friday after I got back from London I went into San Sebastian to get my NIE from the police  station, more than 40 days had gone by so it would surely be there, you'd think, eh!! Oh no no no no not there. It was almost enough to put me underground again.  On Monday Maitere telephoned the appropriate department and was told that it would definitely be there that coming Wednesday. Apparently, a whole batch of cards, mine included, were sent to some other place by mistake, the MOON perhaps. So, on Wednesday off I went to San Sebastian once more and this time ... YES It was there! Oh boy, the relief  - now I have my NIE and can show anyone who's interested,- the police, border control, national security - that I am allowed to be here, I can go out and come back into the   country as many times as I want to. Well, within the next  2months that is, because after the end of May I have no job so no pay so that will be that.

On Sunday after yet another fruitless trip to San Sebastian I took myself off to the beach. It was a beautiful day, cool and sunny and this time I went to Zumaia. The beach was ok and it was certainly damned wonderful to beside the sea again however the really interesting thing there, for me, is the rock formations. I know nothing of geology except that these area is noted for the 'flysch - info from wiki - "The town has two beaches (Itzurun and Santiago), which are of interest to geologists because they are situated among the longest set of continuous rock strata in the world. Known as the "flysch" they date from the mid-cretaceous period to the present, a time period of over 100 million years. The K-T boundary is present at the Itzurun beach, and fossils can be found, notably of ammonites. The strata stretches along a distance of about 8 km, between the towns/beaches of Deba and Getaria, with Zumaia lying in the middle". So, there you have it.
There are walkways along the top of the cliffs and along the seaside between the towns which I hope that Barry and I will wander along before we have to head on out of here. Anyone who wants to come along with us  is most welcome.  Come on, come on - you know you want to!
I wandered along the beach for a fair chunk of the day and then got the bus back to Azpeitia refreshed and rejuvenated, thankfully.
Here are some photos - 

  In Zumaia just bedore the bus stop over the bridge. look at the sky - beautiful
  
   
can't resist 'a little house that sits'

looking down from the walkway








The next Friday I was off on another excursion with Miren and Nerea to Urbasa  in Navarre and to find a waterfall and to see something called the Balcon de Pilotas.  Urbasa is a mountain range and is in a national park We wander through part of the park at the bottom of magnificent cliffs and then went and had a look down at the park from the Balcon de Pilotas at the top, 900 meters down.
But just now I have to go to school, I will be back soon. 










No comments:

Post a Comment