Tuesday 17 December 2013

last Sunday and then Barcelona

Before I continue with the saga of our time in Barcelona I'll write a little about last Sunday when the weather was absolutely superb, a totally stunning day weather wise and it just so happened that I'd arranged to meet up with Bri, the kiwi girl living and working the same job as me not so far from Azpeitia. We decidedto meet in a town on the coast called Zarautz and walk the 2 kms along the coast to the tiny village of Getaria, pop 2,600 so quite a small place sitting on the coast, and back again.To get to Zarautz from Azpeitia I have a 30 minute bus ride and then a 10 minute train ride. I really like using the buses and trains and I wonder if I'll get so used to the countryside and houses I pass that I'll cease to see them. For the time being any way I'm still fascinated by what I see out of the windows. The trialsof public   transport are always present though. Usually the buses and trains are on time, it's co-ordinating buses and trains that can be the problem. I almost missed the bus on Sunday though, not because I almost didn't get to the bus stop on time, I was there with heaps of time to spare, so much time that I went into a daydream and finally looked up to see the bus driving past so leapt up waving my arms hoping that the driver would see me and stop - and he did! I was so relieved and hoped in with a grateful smile and a "muchas gracias" to be greeted with a smile accompanied with a barrage of Spanish or Basque, absolutely no idea, with the usual hands out, palms up, shrugging shoulders body language thing happening. I had absolutely no idea what he was telling me, possibly "wake up" but I gave him a big smile and did the shoulder shrugging, hands out palms up thing and went and sat down happy to be on the bus. It was a bit of amusement for the few people on the bus.

We had a wonderful walk - the sun was shining, the sea was sparkling and the waves were enormous. It was GREAT. We didn't explore Getaria because when we got there we sat looking at the ocean and the people and chatted away for,a while and then it was time to get back to Zarautz, have a pintxo and a beer and find our way to the station in time to get the train which would get me to the bus stop to get a bus without having to wait very long otherwise, the next train would mean I'd have an hours wait for the bus. I wasn't interested in doing that so off we went. I'll do this walk again sometime and make sure I have time to explore  around the little town. I did however take time to get a few photos - 
Getaria. Next time I'll go up the hill on the right
  Looking from Getaria to Zarauta
   Houses behind where we sat chatting 

another house - there are a lot of steps in this little town
  
waves crashing
 and that's about it for last Sunday. It's great to have another kiwi to meet up with, chat with and go to these places with, and I'm grateful that she's happy to pass some time with me.





 







No comments:

Post a Comment